Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Interracial Relationships

Looking back in history to the early 60's, it would be a crime to see a black male with a white female, but that's supposed to be history right? Why does it seem like we are still in the 60's. My girlfriend and I have been together for almost 7 years, but no matter where we go we get the ackward looks. I am African American and she is hispanic and caucasian. I thought that after Martin Luther King Jr. gave his "I have a Dream" speech things would have changed. It seemed to shortly change back in the day, but it seems like racism has not left. Will racism ever leave our world?

People stereotype black men as being ignorant, gang members, low lifes, etc. But I grew up with great family values and I hate to admit but I am a "mama's boy." I believe it is people's choices that make them who they are and that is how stereotypes begin. I am not ignorant, and I'm definitely not a gang member. Why should I be judged off the color my skin? Why should my girlfriend get crap for being with me? People make it seem like her IQ just dropped by 15% by being with a black male.

It's just funny to me how no matter how happy you are people will still judge you on the way you look. Kinda of going back to Tracy's blog about getting judged because she had a disease that made her look "different" she got judged and people made her feel uncomfortable. Well people make me uncomfortable when I go to a fancy club with my girlfriend and people look at us like we aren't good enough to be there. Tracy and myself can't help the way we look. God made us this way for a reason.

When will our society learn that it's not the color of our skin that makes us who we are, its how we are inside that makes us who we are. My girlfriend and I should be able to go to any church we want to and get married and not have to worry about if the pastor will do it or not. There are still churches in the South that are totally against interracial marriages. Why is this? Where is the rule that says you have to marry within your own race? If someone knows where that rule is and you please let me know? Until then, i dont think my girlfriend and I should have to worry about other people's feelings. Not that we care much, but it's still very irritating when it happens ALL the time.

Below is the infamous "I have a dream" speech by Martin Luther King Jr.
http://www.usconstitution.net/dream.html

2 comments:

  1. One would assume that we would finally have acceptance in this "Melting Pot" we live in, especially in Chicago where you see people of all ethnicities, cultures and backgrounds. I feel for you- I am sure after seven years with a woman, all you want it the respect, assurance and peace whcih you deserve. I am in a similar situation, with my skin however I can cover it up and your can't cover up your relationship. You should be able to step out to a nice resturant, go to a club or to Dominicks and not recieve any type od sterotyping, however it's not the world we live in, is it? I think some people, hint some, will always judge people different from themselves. To some I am sure it allows them to feel indestructable and some just feel better about themselves. It's a shame that people in 2010, still have to feel this way. It is ridiculous! Your right though, you should not have to worry about people's feelings, especially these stragners in the world. Truth be told- your a strong man and it doesnt matter what color you are and your girlfriend is a beautiful woman, plain and simple. I wish others can see the affect they have on people, maybe then they will understand.

    My only thought is...Is it Chicago?? I recently visited Boston for the first time and the majority of couples were mixed races and cultures- it was great and the best part they aren't judged, looked at or mocked. So, is it Chicago??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Orlando,

    I understand exactly how you feel. My cousin is an African-American woman married to a Gautemalan man and she says people give them dirty stares and awkward looks all the time. Even though interracial relationships is on the rise there are not as many as you think there are so what you are doing is still new. Prime example, my cousin is the only person in our family that is married outside of her race so what she is doing is a "new" thing even though everyone does have the right to love, marry, or be with who you want to be with. Being an African American woman, I have dated outside of my race and it was quite an experience however, I choose to date within my own race. I do not judge others for dating outside of their race and all races do have benefits like Hispanics are family oriented and if you want to marry someone that is family based that would be a great choice. A lot of black men think black women judge them because they choose to date outside of their race and I think that is also a stereotype that many black men have about black women. Honestly, I could care less who is dating who as long as you are happy, living your own life, and not hurting anyone do as you please. There are still tons of stereotypes about African Americans. I am educated, smart, and I grew up in an affluent white suburb and I get stereotyped as acting white. Oh, so because I do not talk like, "Yeah gurl, or hey bitch", I am not black enough or because I choose to dress a certain way I act white. That is ridiculous and I am stereotyped more by my own race than any other race and that is insane. Instead of people staring, they should ask questions and educate themselved about topics they do not know about. One day my friend and her sister had a conversation with me about black men and white girls dating. I realized that they had been stereotyped by so many black women that they thought all black women must hate white girls and that is not true. Women just hate women in general no matter what race you may be. All we can do is continue to fight against the stereotypes and continue to educate others, but who knows when all the racism, stereotyping, and judging will ever end.

    ReplyDelete